Designation: Barolo D.O.C.G.

Grape Variety: Nebbiolo, 100%

The “Monvigliero” hillside vineyard has long been considered the most significant cru in Verduno and one of the most valuable in the entire Barolo winegrowing region. Limestone- and clay-rich soil with Marls of Saint Agatha present, and a south/south-western exposure. Altitude around 240 m asl; the average age of the vines is 44 years and there is a density of around 4500 plants per hectare.
The 2018 vintage was the first iteration of this momentous Vietti cru.

Winemaking: Grapes harvested by hand on 8 October 2019. This vineyard is historically recognised as one of the most suitable for whole-grape winemaking (approx. 60%). The remaining part (around 40%) is destemmed, crushed and transported into steel tanks for maceration and alcoholic fermentation. After five days of cold soaking, the temperature is raised and fermentation begins. Alcoholic fermentation lasts around four weeks in a steel tank, in contact with the skins and with regular pump-overs. This period included a cold soak and a post-ferment maceration, involving the traditional submerged-cap method. Malolactic fermentation took place in wood.

Ageing: Around 24 months in oak barrels.

Description: Ruby-red colour. The nose is intense yet delicate, with notes of ripe red berries and fine spices. The unmistakably elegant hints of wild strawberry, rose and cherry are striking on the palate. The tannins are rounded, silky and persistent. Every ounce of the harmony and balance of this cru⁠—one of the Barolo region’s most special⁠—stands out. The finish reveals light, fresh and fine spiced notes. All the qualities that set Barolo Monvigliero apart lie in its aromatic complexity and depth of flavour.

Food pairings: Red meat, lobster, game, pot roast, and mature cheeses.

Download
Pdf sheet